It’s hot as hell in England these days!!!! The weather climbs up to even 28 Celsius degree , and mind you, no fan, no air conditioner, I am pretty close to being a hot baked walking piece of meat right now. Despite growing up in a city where it’s around 35 Celsius all year round, this heat still proves to be unbearable. I don’t know how people could sunbathe under this horrible sun, it’s burning!
Dehydration & constant headache has made cooking pretty much a chore so I reduce it to the minimum and opt for simple, quick, yet fulfilling recipes. For today’s dinner, I’m having only carrot soup, topped with herb crème fraîche, served with some bread. This easy soup can be whipped up in no time, and you can even make to freeze. The roasted vegetable intensify the flavour, while the crème fraîche & mint finish off with a light, fresh touch. This is my first time making pureéd soup, and I’m glad I finally do, the combination is just wonderful. I suppose it would be perfect for winter, but well well well, I don’t really care all that much.
Roasted carrot soup (adapted from BBC GoodFood)
INGREDIENTS: (for 2-3 people)
- 1 onion, cut into wedges
- 500 g carrots, roughly chopped
- Few knobs of butter
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp honey
- 1 l vegetable or chicken stock
- 100 ml crème fraîche
- 2 tbs chopped mint
- Heat the oven to 200 C
- Roast the carrots, onion with a few knobs of butter for about 30 minutes, until lightly browned
- Tip the vegetables into a pan, add the bay leaf, honey, stock then bring to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes or more, until the carrots are very soft
- Leave to cool for a bit, then remove the bay leaf and blend it until smooth. Sieve if you like a very smooth texture
- Return to the pan, on medium heat, season then add 1 tbs crème fraîche, stir well. Turn off heat and keep warm
- Whip the rest of the crème fraîche with mint
- Serve with a dollop of crème fraîche on top
This is my contribution to Our Growing Edge this month. This event aims to connect food bloggers and inspire us to try new things. This month’s challenge is hosted by Stacey from The Veggie Mama. Her blog is full of great ideas for vegetarian and I’d love to try them out for my friend one day. Use vegetable stock and this soup would totally fit the vegetarian theme. Thank you Stacey for hosting!
Have a lovely week wherever you are. As for me, I’ll keep praying for the rain to come.